Light Fruit Cakes
Modified by Elly
100 gr glace cherries (mixed red and green, coarsely chopped)
50 gr raisins, 100 gr currants, 50 gr sultanas (or whatever combination u prefer)
200 ml apple/ orange juice
50 gr dried pineapple; 50 gr dried apricot; 30 gr mixed peel.
250 gr butter
150 gr soft dark brown sugar
225 gr all purpose flour
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
1. Macerate all the fruits with apple/orange juice, overnight preferably.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
4. Mix in flour, salt, nutmeg, mixed spice until well combined.
5. Fold in macerated fruits and whatever juice that is remaining.
6. Place batter into 2 oval pans
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 140C for 45-50 min.